[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - August 2023

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 09:50:24 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

We ended August with 180 species on the Edmonds year list. New species, in order by date, include:

Green Heron (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 8-2-23. Many subsequent sightings throughout the month, including reports of 2 herons.

Cassin’s Auklet (code 4), 2 southbound at the waterfront, 8-11-23.

Lesser Yellowlegs (code 4), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 8-23-23. Seen by multiple birders.

Great Egret (code 4), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 8-23-23.

Pectoral Sandpiper (code 3), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 8-26-23.

Wandering Tattler (code 4), 1 at waterfront (marina north breakwater), 8-26-23. Subsequent sightings on both breakwaters and at Marina Beach.

Ruddy Turnstone (code 5), 1 at waterfront (marina south breakwater), 8-27-23.

Parasitic Jaeger (code 3), 2 at waterfront, 8-30-23.

Single Wandering Tattlers were last seen on the marina breakwaters in 2017 and 2020. Prior to that it had been many years since that species has been reported on the waterfront. There have only been three previous records of Ruddy Turnstone in Edmonds. Surprisingly, one appeared in the Edmonds marsh in 1997. There were two subsequent reports, a number of years ago, from an experienced birder on walks from Brackett’s Landing to Shell Creek. This year’s turnstone was captured on camera by someone looking for the tattler. It was far down the south breakwater. It makes one wonder if this species is in Edmonds a bit more frequently but just too distant to be seen from the south end of the public pier.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field to add critical field mark for unusual Edmonds birds (code 3 or rarer), it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2023 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through August.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records