[Tweeters] Mount Olympus gull?

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 22:30:10 PDT 2023

Saturday Mary & I saw a quite white gull on the mud at Indianola (Kitsap
County, east of Poulsbo, north of Bainbridge Island, northwest across Puget
Sound from the Space Needle). Several outer primaries had some gray.
Otherwise its plumage was entirely white. Outermost 3 primaries tattered.
Likewise outermost secondaries tattered. Irises dusty yellow. Orbital rings
white. Feet pink. Bill yellow and stout. Gonydeal spot red.

I suppose it's leucistic, and some sort of Olympic Gull.
I'm calling it a Mount Olympus gull. Or a Leucas gull.

I'm out of practice, having not picked up my camera since early June, but
posted a couple flight photos on Flickr tonight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58148027@N07/53165784585/in/datetaken/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58148027@N07/53164815372/in/datetaken/

I really enjoyed watching it feed. Once it picked up a clam (or such), flew
towards me, circled me casually twice as I took photos, maybe trying to get
me to fall down in the mud, then flew back a bit and dropped it, cracking
it open, then landed to feed on it.

I welcome comments and identification help from well-intentioned and
ethical people.

Thank you, and Good Birding,
https://www.aba.org/aba-code-of-birding-ethics/
Kevin Lucas