[Tweeters] Vaux's Happening

Larry Schwitters leschwitters at me.com
Mon Sep 18 10:59:57 PDT 2023

Tweeters,

The swifts have now pretty much migrated through Washington State and Monroe Wagner continues to host more going North than it does going South. The 2023 Northbound saw super low numbers. Low enough to send many a Swift Seeker into the fetal position with concerns of a massive winter die off. The project coordinator said no problem, Southern California eBird data shows better than average numbers. Since mid-August we have been documenting the wee birds roosting in record numbers. JBLM got left out probably because the swifts wanted to send the night at the Rainier, OR Riverside Church instead. The center of the migration the last two nights has been the North San Francisco Bay where 65-70 thousand have been going into three large smoke stacks. Very proud of the crew we have down there clicking them off through scopes.

Last weekend our project was front page of the Portland Oregonian with their major focus on Rainier Riverside.

Good luck finding it for free.

Larry Schwitters
Issaquah