[Tweeters] County Year List Project updated through August [WA Birder]

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 24 18:17:29 PDT 2023

Hi Tweeters & InlandNW Birder

An updated version of the 2023 County Yearlist Project is up and available at Washington Birder.
http://wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html

Thanks compilers for all your work, and thanks everyone who has contributed.

This update, coming at the end of August and as Fall Migration was just beginning, is less ’stable’ in timing that some of the other updates - some migrants might show up just a little earlier or later and bend the numbers - nevertheless, it is interesting to see where things stand.

Here’s how things look compared with recent years:

We’ve tallied 373 species statewide as of the end of August in 2023. That’s 8 below last year at this point, 1 above 2021 and 5 below 2020’s total.

For Western WA, our 344 total is 7 lower than last year, and 4 higher than 2021.

For Eastern WA, our 308 total is 8 lower than last year, and 9 lower than 2021.

Overall, we’re doing a bit low compared to last year when it comes to diversity of species seen.

15 Counties have higher totals than this time last year, while 23 have lower totals than at this point last year. One county has exactly the same total as at this point last year [go Jefferson!].

72 species have been seen in all 39 counties, and 158 species have been found in 30 or more counties.

A handful of species new to the year list have come in since the end of August- It looks like we’ll add Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, maybe Blue-headed &/or, Philadelphia Vireo, Canada Warbler and others in September. But things like Scripps’s Murrelet, Brown Booby & Blackpoll Warbler might go missing on the year totals this time around. We’ve still got plenty of time for more fall vagrants to pop up, along with winter surprisesl. And Neah Bay season is just coming up…., who knows what surprises remain….

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.wabirder.com/__;!!JYXjzlvb!zG34Bg6bHN7DFbBBUaTDwShMg1FqqyJYn5MFZzMWbfTt3uAOqMTkSTJu0EzT-2kdesFyODa5qw$>

A direct link to the 2023county yearlist & the list of county compilers contact info:
http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html__;!!JYXjzlvb!zG34Bg6bHN7DFbBBUaTDwShMg1FqqyJYn5MFZzMWbfTt3uAOqMTkSTJu0EzT-2kdesFgZPFJVA$>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA.

Good birding,