[Tweeters] Dumas Bay Sanctuary

Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 22:04:51 PDT 2023

Carole and I took a walk down to the beach at Dumas Bay Sanctuary in
Federal Way today. Seems that bird activity is picking up. A somewhat late
Osprey circling over the water with what appeared to be a flounder in its
talons, while looking for a spot to consume its lunch. A single also
seemingly late Caspian Tern was diving with big splashes. I never saw it
catch its lunch, however a little later it was dive bombing the resident
Bald Eagle patrolling the bay. Old Baldy was totally outclassed by the
agile tern's aerobatics.

The American Wigeon wintering flock has grown to well over 200. Also on the
water where a couple of rafts of mainly male Surf Scoters, a few Scaup (
Greater?), several Horned Grebes, 2 Western Grebes and a single Red-necked
Grebe. A pair of Great Blue Herons were having a dispute over fishing
rights. With spread wings, it was somewhat like dancing Sandhill Cranes.

At Lake Lorene/Treasure Island Park were 38 Cackling Geese - likely of the
minima subspecies - resting on the water this evening. This is a
first-of-season sighting at this location.

Good Birding!

Hans
--
*Hans Feddern*