[Tweeters] Magnificent Frigatebird

via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 24 12:57:51 PDT 2024

Kevin Lucas,

Using eBird's "Explore" by species I found reports of the
Magnificent Frigatebird in the Portland and Lyle areas. Based
on that I would not consider your report worthy of being
rejected - it seems to be an "unlikely". However, not having a
photo or some other evidence may have been the reason.

All,

I have found that eBird is geared to accept the reports of some
people (do they have a "user rating"?) much more readily than
others. This is not bad or wrong - it's a good thing because
none of us wants just anybody to be able to report something
rare (or even unlikely) - the quality of the database -has- to
take precedence over the feelings of the users.

Having said the above - I once had a report I made of a
Great Egret at Ship Harbor rejected. Since my report was
just one of -many- that were made that day and week for that
same location (same bird?) ... I have never understood why
"mine" was rejected when others were accepted ... it
seemed/seems kind of arbitrary (to me). Still does.
- Jim