[Tweeters] Urgent need for volunteers to count swans

Martha Jordan mj.cygnus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 10:27:42 PST 2024

This is a project in the Skagit Valley being conducted by a graduate
student and WDFW.
WDFW and the grad student have been capturing swans and placing
satellite transmitters on them over the past 2 months. About 19 collars
are out there, all white so they are very difficult to see and there are no
numbers/letters on them.

A key part of the project are weekly swan counts in the Skagit
Valley. There is a need for volunteers to help. I am reaching out to those
who may want to assist with this effort. It is simple, easy and requires
no skill in swan identification other than to tell a swan from other
birds.
I know this is late notice. That said, with a few more people we can
get it done.
What is needed is people to drive a particular area in the Skagit
Valley (maps provided) and count swans. No need to identify them to species
or determine adults/juv age. Just count the swans and enter the data on a
map (where they were seen) and on a form. It is simple. Anyone with a
spotting scope, or even really good binoculars can do this type of count.
We were supposed to go out today, but it was cancelled due to lack of
needed people to cover the areas. What I am hoping for is people who can
go out once a week, or every other week, or even just once or twice this
season. We need at least 2 more people than we have each week. Thus, we
need a pool of people as some folks may opt for every other week or just
once.
It is a good opportunity to help with a valuable research project and
have fun at the same time.....you never know what you will see while out
there.
I can provide people with clicker counters to help them if there are
large flocks. As I said, only counting the total number of swans, enter
the data and move on to find the next group in the geographic area needed
to be covered. To cover an area is about 2 hours, some maybe less. You can
take up to 4 hours if you want to look at all the birds you find along the
way.
I will be coordinating this over the next two months -- through March.
Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated. We are
desperate to get more help to keep this project going.
Call or text is the best way to get in touch. Please be sure to put
your name in the text.
Thank you.

Martha Jordan
206-713-3684