[Tweeters] audio recording advice -- and also crossbills

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 08:55:11 PST 2024

I'm forwarding this useful discussion and links to webinars about recording
bird sounds. This is from a California listserv, which is apparently where
a lot of crossbills are this year. They are sure thin on the Olympic
Peninsula right now. Even our Type 3's may be in California.

For a free phone recording app, where you can boost the gain (increase the
record volume), I highly recommend Voice Record Pro. The icon is red and
black with an old microphone image. It was mentioned in *Birding *magazine
years ago and I've used it ever since. For post-processing, Audacity is
free and works great for me. It allows you to set the volume exactly how
eBird recommends, and clean up white noise to some extent.