[Tweeters] Jefferson-Kitsap birding

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 23:19:47 PST 2024

Hey Tweets,

I've gone to work on a year of birding in Jefferson and Kitsap Counties, with goals of 200 and 150 species respectively by year's end. Kitsap has already presented some interesting challenges, but I've definitely started to find some spots that I'm really looking forward to revisiting through the year. As I explain in the introduction<https://jkcountybirding.blogspot.com/p/the-improved-twofer-plan-jefferson-and.html> to this year's blog<https://jkcountybirding.blogspot.com/>, I'd developed a silly distaste for birding in the county next door - something I'm expecting I'll remedy by year's end. It's a lovely county. Jefferson is going to require a little more focus with that higher goal. I expect to just reach it or fall just short. Either way, 200 feels like the right​ goal.

There have been some good birds in these counties to start the year: Rock Sandpiper (Fort Flagler) and Pygmy Nuthatches (North Beach), have continued in Jefferson County, swans have stuck around in both counties, and a Black Phoebe has been hanging around in Kitsap County near Hansville. I've yet to find a Yellow-billed Loon in Jefferson, but several people have had then in and around Port Townsend (the body of water, rather than the city, although kinda both). An early storm also brought in some goodies like Black-legged Kittiwake. . . I just may do some storm-chasing by year's end!

I remain thankful for the good folks out there in the birding community who have been generous with their time, tips, and talents. Good luck to everyone with their goals this year - birding and otherwise.

Cheers,
Tim Brennan
Renton
[https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiun9Z9NX6x90sEF4_itR5jSo297PvIdpi5hckvmTOhioIAib5ahf4YPoGHi5PYV-e5O7IR6QuUxwRr-R2TAxBG-xCNa0F2UnpPLVu0-TrGLBzyC3r0h7IJGTajtQMFwHhJ6zcY6Q_WZhoP-129C1UkZVWevaih6yOEeKIMbUXDiXE-UOxl5Abt2lUiFlpL/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/countymap.PNG]<https://jkcountybirding.blogspot.com/p/the-improved-twofer-plan-jefferson-and.html>
The Improved Twofer Plan - Jefferson and Kitsap Counties<https://jkcountybirding.blogspot.com/p/the-improved-twofer-plan-jefferson-and.html>
Hello 2024! Fresh off of a year here I tried to dig out 150 species in four counties in Washington State, it took a few days to get my feet ...
jkcountybirding.blogspot.com