[Tweeters] Truly special habitat - or just 'learned locations'?

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Fri Feb 16 13:38:48 PST 2024

Ronda/all,

The SEOWs are working - and perching - quite near the road this year.
They did this two years ago also - but not so much last year. The owl
viewing this year has been great. And there have been the 'crowds' that
come with that as well - for example, yesterday on a day that was both
dark and windy (and cold) there were still 20 plus cars at the East 90.
That's on a Thursday!

I'm not sure I agree with the 'too much wind' speculation ... I've
been there when the wind was literally howling (and gusty) - and the
owls were working in full force (same number as the same time the
day before/after without the wind). If it is raining - especially if
hard - then there are less owls. No surprise.

I get out to the 90s at least twice and often more times a week.
I'm lucky and live in Burlington so it's easier for me to "just go"
as the whim and weather bids me.

Best time of day for SEOW at the East 90 is between 3pm and "too dark
to see any more".

BTW - I got up early today and there was 'first light' in the East
over the Cascades ... at 6:00am. Spring is coming and the days are
getting longer!
- Jim