[Tweeters] Western Gulls vs hybrids in Puget Sound

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:43:37 PST 2024

All,

Thanks to a contribution from David Estroff, I've updated my gull
identification post here:
https://thecottonwoodpost.net/2023/10/12/gull-identification-in-puget-sound/

with an almost-Western Gull that is actually an Olympic Gull (Western x
Gl-W hybrid).

Search for "Feb 17" to find the bird under the Olympic Gull section. I've
circled the folded primaries. The key is the underside of the far wingtip
-- it's silvery, not black.

I see on eBird that many adult Western Gulls are currently being reported.
I can only speak for this bird at Pt Hudson, which looks quite a bit like a
Western Gull but is an Olympic coming into breeding plumage. I've yet to
see a pure Western Gull in Puget Sound this year.

good gulling!

--
Steve Hampton
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)