[Tweeters] thoughts on Whooping Swans

Hans-Joachim Feddern thefedderns at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 13:16:43 PST 2024

To the best of my knowledge all recent Washington records have been of
individual adults and unbanded. This would rule out escapees from zoos or
waterfowl collections. More interesting is the fact, that we have not seen
family groups, since swans stay together at least through the first winter.
The individuals seem to associate with Trumpeter Swans. Are we seeing birds
separated from their family during migration in Asia and blown off in a
storm to Alaska and joined Trumpeters on their southward migrations? Has
anybody observed a Whooper paired with a Trumpeter? Many unanswered
questions!

Good Birding!

Hans

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 9:54 AM J Christian Kessler <1northraven at gmail.com>
wrote:

> given that WHSWs are normally Eurasian, not North American birds, and it

> appears that several, not just one accidental, have showed up this winter

> in western Washington, has there been any speculation or thoughts about why

> this year and how these birds came to be here?

> Chris Kessler

> Seattle

> --

> "moderation in everything, including moderation"

> Rustin Thompson

*Hans Feddern*
Twin Lakes/Federal Way, WA
thefedderns at gmail.com