[Tweeters] Off-subject: aquatic larva of insect

Blythe Horman blythe.horman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:10:36 PST 2024

Hi Tweeters,

Are there insect larvae other than Caddis Flies living in streams and
building shelters out of small rocks in this area? I was at Locust Creek
Park in Brier today, and I idly picked up a handful of stones out of the
stream. I discovered that I’d inadvertently broken open the tubular shelter
of a larva, thankfully uninjured. It was brown, about 1/2 inch long, and
had a segmented abdomen. I was bereft of sleep and did not notice any legs
or the split “tail” usually seen on Caddis larvae. My partner did not see
these either.

I was wondering if anyone can identify the larva I regretfully disturbed. I
won’t be hand-dredging in streams anymore!

Thank you,
Blythe Horman, Lynnwood