[Tweeters] A really good Trail Cam for birds at our fountain?

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed Feb 28 12:07:39 PST 2024

Hi all,

As I've been reporting now for about 15 months we have a trail cam that is
pointed at our fountain. It's getting a lot of pics and I've learned many
things from it about the birds in our backyard. However, the quality of
the images is pretty poor. A lot of the quality issues are related to
the slow shutter speed with no options to speed it up ... but, if I could
be standing there with a cell phone I'd be getting FAR superior pictures.
Trail cams are great - for large mammals ... but not so good for birds.
Ours is less than 6 feet from the fountain and the images are often OK in
terms of exposure and lighting and pose ... but the part of the image
that is 'the bird' is often far too small - and with far too few pixels
of resolution to get anything other than marginally usable. And often,
due to the slow shutter speed, you can't even know for certain what
bird is in the image.

So is anyone using one that they consider to be "really good" in terms
of image quality, flexibility, and adaptability to our purposes?
- Jim

P.S. I'm "getting there" ... only about 2.5k more images to go thru for
my first cut review. I'm easily "just deleting" over 70% of them.