[Tweeters] Love finding Black Oystercatchers

Mike Wagenbach wagen at uw.edu
Mon Jan 1 07:01:25 PST 2024

Swirl Island S of Lopez and the rocky shore of Lopez between Aleck Bay and
Iceberg Point are pretty reliable. I've only seen them there from a boat
(kayak) but some of the rocks near Iceberg Point should be visible from the
extensive DNR property there if you hike along the lower part. Be cautious
trying to get really close to the lower edge of the grassy area, though, as
slipping or crumbling of the overhanging soil could cause a nasty fall!

Scoping from that DNR hillside would also be a good chance for Marbled
Murrelets. I wouldn't call them "reliable" but I've seen them there as
often as anywhere. Particularly good numbers the last time I was there in
late summer (September).

Mike Wagenbach
Seattle