[Tweeters] List of birds by common name - Wikipedia; and My “Common” Concern

Dan Reiff dan.owl.reiff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 02:44:43 PST 2024

It’s Wikipedia, but interesting.

My hope is there was some person named “Common” so that some of my favorite, great birds, including, Common Poorwill, Common Nighthawk, Common Raven, Common Eider and Common Loon will finally be renamed with the respect they deserve.
Also, I have never understood why the naming committee changed the name Rufous-sided Towhee to Spotted Towhee.
It was such a great name, and descriptive, and fun to say!
Who are these people that name bird species?

While filming the Red Fox Sparrow at Ed N’s great backyard a few months ago, I was introduced to his neighbor. As we waited for the bird to arrive we discussed bird names that had changed.

“I have never gotten over the name change from Rufous-sided Towhee” I said.
“I still call them Rufous-sided Towhees” she said.

I was refreshingly surprised by her response!

Best regards and Happy New Year to the Tweets community!

Dan Reiff
Mercer Island

Article listing all common bird names:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_by_common_name