[Tweeters] Congratulations to Larry Schwitters!

Constance Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 13:44:48 PST 2024

Dear Brian, thanks so much for letting our community know about Larry's honor. I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Larry and his band of dedicated volunteers essentially saved the Monroe chimney Vaux's Swift roost from destruction, when the school district became worried about earhtquake safety. Because of the way that Larry went about saving that icon, the whole town of Monroe now celebrates with a festival that draws people from all over. (And here let's give a nod to State Senator Ken Jacobsen, who helped so much, too.)

To my mind, this is an even greater achievement than saving the chimney or even coordinating the conservation efforts of swifts fans up and down the coast - wonderful as these achievements are. I say this because of the critical importance we birders owe to nature to draw in people who would otherwise not know or care about the natural wonders of our planet. Larry gives people the chance to make a personal and emotional connection to these little swifts, and by doing so, fosters love of nature among everyone. We birders can't save habitat alone - our numbers are too small. We need the general public and especially kids to fall in love with birds too. Larry's Vaux's Happening does that. Thank you Larry! - Connie, Seattle