[Tweeters] Nectar Feeder Management During Cold Snaps

Tom Benedict benedict.t at comcast.net
Sat Jan 13 19:45:35 PST 2024

As others have mentioned recently, keeping nectar feeders thawed out is a challenge when temps drop. A 4:1 sucrose/water mixture will freeze around 26-27F. Given that we’ve had lows around 11F here in Burien, it hasn’t taken long, usually 2-3 hours, to freeze solid. Two of our feeders are near single pane windows, so they get a little heat which extends them a bit longer. Even then we have to thaw or replace the nectar 3-4 times a day.

There have been plenty of ways suggested to solve this. One that was suggested was to bring the feeders in at night. I think that’s a good idea, but make sure you don’t bring them in prematurely. These birds have much better night vision than I do. I say this because last evening I went out to bring in the nectar feeder at 7:00pm, two hours after sunset, and I got buzzed by two calypte anna. They must have been making a final pass to grab a couple of calories to hold them through their nightly torpor. They probably start their morning rounds similarly, so I try to get the feeders back out by 5:30 or 6:00am.

The suggestions to add a tiny heater adjacent to the feeder are starting to appeal to me.

Tom Benedict
Seahurst, WA