[Tweeters] Probable Red Breasted Sapsucker

Blythe Horman blythe.horman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 16:41:41 PST 2024

Hi Tweeters,

I just got a peekaboo glimpse of a slim robin-sized woodpecker foraging
about 2 feet off the ground on a tall cedar or fir (need to brush up on my
trees) with a very distinctly red head. Unfortunately, someone walking by
flushed it and it flew away out of my line of sight.

Could it be anything other than a Red Breasted Sapsucker? I’ve never seen
one foraging so close to the ground. It also seemed lighter than the dark
phase usually seen out here.

Walking over to the tree, I didn’t see any fresh holes, although if it was
foraging for insects, the bark was old and full of many pits and crevices.

Thank you.

Blythe Horman
Lynnwood