[Tweeters] Hummingbird in house

Carla Conway mikiconway at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 17:58:18 PST 2024

Hi Marcy and Tweeters,

This message and link were posted on the Oregon Birds Online listserv
today. I hope the information is helpful.

Carla

Hi all,
This is a blog post about all things winter hummingbirds. One of my
hummingbird rehabilitator mentors provided much of this information. She
had rescued hummers for 20 years.
Other information is gleaned from Birds of the World resources and from
rescuing these birds myself for the last 15 years.
Please know that hummingbirds are far less tough than we give them credit
for. Many who overwinter (at least those dealing with cold temps and snow),
don't always make it.
A 25-watt bulb, even in the valley, is a good idea. In Central Oregon, a
25-watt bulb right now means you would be wise to bring the feeder in at
night, as it cannot keep the feeder from going to slush overnight.
Anyhoo. Read it if interested.

Caring for Winter Hummingbirds
<http://www.nativebirdcare.org/blog/caring-for-winter-hummingbirds>

Elise Wolf