[Tweeters] Cold weather bird behavior - RCKI's

sherry bottoms sleebottoms at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 08:50:41 PST 2024

Great video

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, January 15, 2024, 8:16 AM, Tom Benedict <benedict.t at comcast.net> wrote:

I’m thinking that the high-visibility of the frequently hidden bright red ‘crown’ is due to the ‘feather puffing’ the bird was employing due to the extreme cold. As the feathers stick out more directly from the bird, they reveal the ruby jewel beneath. The normally somewhat slim bird was a much more rounded ball in this series of photos.
I had similar experience this morning as I checked the hummingbird feeders. A calypte anna was perched on the feeder but it didn’t fly off as it normally would. It barely moved, then took a few sips. I checked a few minutes later and it was still there. Eventually it flew off and I replaced the slush with fresh nectar. Another case of hunger overriding their flight distance fear response.
Tom BenedictSeahurst, WA