[Tweeters] Yellow Shafted flicker

Paul Bannick paul.bannick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:57:46 PST 2024

Hi Adrienne,
What a wonderful surprise that must have been. You may have had a
Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker, but you more likely had an intergrade
between the Red-shafted and Yelllow-shafted races showing more
yellow-shafted features.

These intergrades are quite common during the winter as the ranges between
the two blend in band of area straddling the Great Plans and the Rocky
Mountains moving North and West from the Mexican Border to Alaska. During
the winter some of the interegradeds from that "band" migrate into our
area. Over the time since I was a boy intergrades have become more
common in all seasons but the most dramatically mixed ones are still winter
visitors.

You can see a couple of my examples here:
https://paulbannick.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=2&_bqH=eJxzC8oIK4mwDDcw8wqJcPJxC8hOTE8JccwrNc.3MrMyNDAAYSDpGe8S7GybmVeSWpRelJiSquYZHxrsGhTv6WIbClJQ4WvomeuX7pgS5akW7.gcYlucmliUnAEAcfodcA--&GI_ID=

https://paulbannick.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=1&_bqH=eJxzC8oIK4mwDDcw8wqJcPJxC8hOTE8JccwrNc.3MrMyNDAAYSDpGe8S7GybmVeSWpRelJiSquYZHxrsGhTv6WIbClJQ4WvomeuX7pgS5akW7.gcYlucmliUnAEAcfodcA--&GI_ID=

Regards,

Paul

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 1:31 PM Adrienne Dorf <adrienne at nwveggie.com> wrote:

> I just had a "Yellow Shafted" flicker at my suet feeder in North Seattle.

> I have never seen one before. Are they often in the PNW in the winter?

> Adrienne Dorf

Now Available:
Owl: A Year in the Lives of North American Owls at:
http://paulbannick.com/shop/owl-a-year-in-the-lives-of-north-american-owls/

Paul Bannick Photography
www.paulbannick.com
206-940-7835