[Tweeters] (Correct Link)-Well Tweeters, what do think of this?: “World's first-ever smart binoculars can identify 9,000 birds thanks to built-in AI | Digital Camera World”

N D drisseq.n at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 13:25:57 PST 2024

Hi Tweets,
After reading the entire article, it's important to realize the potential
benefits of this equipment instead of a knee-jerk reaction.

Consider overall how we are only at the beginning of the AI age. There are
many potentials to this tech:

Birders easily slam down 2-5K on camera equipment; these binoculars might
be a much better choice.

They will prevent folks from missing birds while trying to ID using a phone
app or book. One will INSTANTLY be able to get photos to document the
species, and this equipment will probably evolve into containing an actual
guide app teaching features and ID marks to birders. Peterson will not turn
but jump for joy in his grave as his publication evolves! Merlin is not
Swarovski. Merlin is free for a reason.

Everyone could have access to become a master birder, in their own time.
Isn't this what technology is already allowing us to do? Work from home,
work out own hours, have more independence...

For those in rural areas or with no access to teachers, those with medical
conditions and disabilities who are unable to join groups, it's a game
changer.

Those who find birding a huge challenge on it's own.

Imagine being on a pelagic with this.

It's hard to take photos on a boat! (Btw you don't have to have the ID part
on to use them.)

With a built-in camera, a magnification that is better/as good as a
telephoto lens, and a retail price cheaper than many birders spend on
equipment; Hopefully a SCOPE with the same specifications will be on the
way! That, many would buy, if it was accurate, I argue.

More people would be out looking for cool birds! More rare WA birds will be
identified by less experienced birders; Thus bringing more birders into the
field, Thus bringing higher, new (and non-new) species totals to the state.

I imagine now our esteemed WBRC secretary must be close to losing it with
excitement! In fact, I know he is! ;)

Seriously, it can be the inability to ID birds that stops some people from
birding or from becoming better birders. How many give up after buying the
wrong binoculars or the wrong book or after having a bad experience after
their accurate ID has been put down? With photos and AI, the playing field
is leveling and it's going to get more even. And when we get the amount of
data from a Nat Geo onto this...

Sure they're taking a short cut but if that's the price for having more of
the population into birding, and therefore more folks understanding that
development and skyscraper lights kill birds, then perhaps these issues
will have more impact so that they can be ameliorated.

One mustn't assume that self-teaching technology will turn the world into
autonomous idiocracy.

Sometimes people don't scope or bird on their own because they can't id the
birds on their own even with an app or book!

I look at all the Facebook questions for IDs on female RWBL and I say to
you all; surely this is better than a Facebook group ID? It's faster and we
don't have to spend time answering the same ID questions.

I have observed and discussed with friends (ok, with Raphael) that birders
prefer to bird together at Discovery Point because they help each other or
spur each other on, but if there's no one else there, then they tend to go
home sooner and probably miss rarities. This could be the equivalent of a
birding buddy.

Experienced birders may condescend at this new tech because it took them
500 years to learn birding, but what if this AI eventually teaches greener
birders HOW to ID what they're looking at AND FASTER? The only difference
between this and having a Sibley ID guide app could be that it is faster
and you won't miss birds by having a nose in a book/app.

Classes can still be taught but field trips will be better with these bins
becoming functional aids that trip leaders can employ to teach the ways of
ID, and so they can spend more time teaching!

Many folks can't afford a trip to PR and a guide and photographic
equipment. But they can choose a hotel, and bird on their own if this AI
improves to include geographical information.

Let's remove any negative attachment to technological progress and see with
wider awareness what this equipment can truly evolve into and do for
birding and for our community.

While this invention may not help those who can't afford them, one hopes
that individuals with wealth will be more drawn to birding and devote more
financial and political contribution to helping birds.

I welcome our new AI binocular overlords. Let's widen the gap between
birders and non birders. Let's draw down the social barriers that cause
superiority as opposed to equanimity.

Let's use our imagination positively and this will empower those pathways
to manifestation.

Swarovski are not just making sales. They're making great equipment and
also changing the rules for a reason.

And hopefully these will come down in price too.

N Drisseq

(Former research molecular biologist, now retired)