[Tweeters] Seattle Lesser Goldfinches

pan panmail at mailfence.com
Sat Jan 20 15:15:42 PST 2024

Tweets,

Buoyed by yesterday's success with redpolls (for which I omitted the important detail that Ed, Delia, and Audrey had already seen the redpolls when I ran into the birders, encouraging me to keep searching), this morning Spencer H. and I spent time at Montlake Playfield park in Seattle.  We eventually found a pair of Lesser Goldfinches reported earlier in the week by Louis K. and Alec R., loosely with a dozen American Goldfinches in/near a birch on the shore west of the main park.  Nearer noon, we found them again, two males and two females together with 15 or more American in and near birches a couple of houses south of the main park buildings, and still present when we left.  This was the best and longest views I've had of them in Seattle.  There are still lots of birch seeds, so they may linger.

With an exploratory nudge from Jon D., we also found a bit of park even farther west, where sparrow activity was good, including a White-throated Sparrow Alec had also reported earlier.  There's still ice along the shores, but there were lots of ducks, including a drake Northern Pintail.

20 January, 2024,

Alan Grenon
Seattle
panmail AT mailfence point com