[Tweeters] White-breasted nuthatch

Kelly Haupt khaupt99 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 13:03:47 PST 2024

Hello!

I was VERY surprised to see a White-breasted nuthatch at our suet feeder on 1/13/24, at 2:00pm during our cold snap. We are in Union, WA, near Hood Canal, in the Alderbrook community, Mason County. Reading more about them, and knowing this bird is not supposed to be here, I learned that it could be a subspecies, the slender-billed white-breasted, but the only sightings of them that I found are in and around Clark and Cowlitz counties. I reported the sighting to WDFW, which said the population might only include 50 or so individuals!

My visual was from maybe 20 feet. I took a few photos with my old iPhone, so if anyone would like me to send them pics I’d be happy to. Attaching pics here made the file too large to post.
If anyone has more information on recent sightings and locations, I’d love to know!

Kelly Haupt