[Tweeters] best place in NW for a February trip?

Jamie Holland jamietholland at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 11:11:02 PST 2024

Hi Tweeters,

Looking for a new spot to take my family for a Northwest birding getaway in
mid-February. Your thoughts on the best combo of weather & birds we can get
this time of year?

We live in Snohomish and do a lot of birding in King and Snohomish Counties.

In the Northwest, we've done multi-day trips around:

- Ridgefield
- Skamania
- Skagit Valley / Fidalgo Island
- Potholes SP / Columbia NWR
- Semiahmoo
- Walla Walla / Tri-Cities
- Ocean Shores

I've been looking at the Olympic Peninsula, like maybe Hobuck Beach, but
wonder if it's just too early in the year and if it would be miserable
birding weather. The cabins on Hobuck Beach are wide open, which makes it
seem like an undesirable time to visit.

Of course, flights to the Southwest are pretty cheap! Last year, we visited
the Lower Rio Grande Valley in Texas in February and it was mind-blowing.
Hard to top 57 new species in a week and t-shirt weather in February.

-Jamie Holland