[Tweeters] Off subject: help identifying cast-off pupae fragments

Blythe Horman blythe.horman at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 18:48:38 PST 2024

Hi Tweeters,

Can anyone recommend a good resource for identifying local pupae and their
abandoned “shells”? I saw a particularly unusual (to me) one today attached
to an old birch Twin Ponds Park. Although not a great fan of Facebook, if
there’s a decent local entomology group, I’d be interested.

Otherwise, it was a quiet day there around 4 pm: sleepy mallards that
preferred we be elsewhere, and a lone female bufflehead that also was
avoiding us and diving for long periods. I wonder why ducks are so wary
there, as opposed to, say, Greenlake or the ponds at Shilshole.

Thanks!

Blythe Horman, Lynnwood