[Tweeters] Early Swainson's Hawk

dick dick at dkporter.net
Sun Mar 3 19:51:26 PST 2024

I've been to Borrego Springs for the Hawk Watch several times. It's amazing.  The "master watch organizer", Hal Cohen, does a very good job as communicator- both on site and sending social media information.Check out this website for complete information and sign-up for this year's info.www.abdnha.org/hawkwatch.htmlDick Porter Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphon
-------- Original message --------From: Ronda Stark <rondastark18 at gmail.com> Date: 3/3/24 4:55 PM (GMT-08:00) To: Kevin Lucas <vikingcove at gmail.com> Cc: Tweeters <tweeters at u.washington.edu> Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Early Swainson's Hawk Hi Kevin,Have you ever been down to Borrego Springs for the Swainson's Hawk Watch? I was thinking of going down there this year. The peak migration is around mid- March there so I'm surprised we have SWHA already.RondaOn Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 3:55 PM Kevin Lucas <vikingcove at gmail.com> wrote:Last Wednesday, February 21st, I heard then spotted a Swainson's Hawk circling overhead in Walla Walla near Wa-Hi school. (In 2016 I spotted one in Kittitas County near I-82 just south of I-90 on February 23rd.)Wednesday night I let a local WW birder maven know of my find. They said SWHA aren't around before April, but birds fly, and they'd look. I replied that the eBird Range Map shows a Swainson's Hawk, with photographs, in Idaho on January 24th of this year.https://ebird.org/checklist/S159707622(Other checklists also document that bird.)Yesterday night I got an email from the Walla Walla maven telling me they'd spotted a Swainson's Hawk along Byrnes Road. They were in a group of five birders. Byrnes Road is west of Touchet, twenty miles west of where I'd seen the Swainson's Hawk three days earlier in Walla Walla.https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S162870354Good Birding,https://www.aba.org/aba-code-of-birding-ethics/Kevin LucasYakima County, WAQui tacet consentire videtur