[Tweeters] BUZZNET: Adorably Ferocious Beast Sneaks Up On Photographer - Funny Animals Interrupting Wildlife Photographers

Teresa Michelsen teresa at avocetconsulting.com
Fri Mar 15 13:03:05 PDT 2024

I was once on a birding trip to New Zealand and one of the goals was to see all 5 kiwis (we did!). We went to Stewart Island, hiked across to a beach in the evening, and found our kiwis of the day there… the rules are you cannot disturb them and have to stay a certain distance away. One photographer had left his very long lens on the beach with some other things and a kiwi got curious and started poking his beak inside the camera lens. Kiwis have very long pointed beaks … that guy was quietly freaking out about the bird scratching his lens coatings… but there was nothing he could do about it! The kiwi was curious! I never did hear how it came out…

Teresa Michelsen
Hoodsport, WA