[Tweeters] Wiley Slough Update

Michael Scuderi cotinga777 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 16 23:24:26 PDT 2024

I sure hope that they are not removing more trees of the reconstructed dikes. The gut response by engineers is to remove all trees because they think that levee integrity is compromised.   I worked as a biologist for the Corps of Engineers for 37 years, dealing with countless levee projects and fighting engineers over tree removal. I also talked the lead Corps researchers on Levee Vegetation and their conclusion was that trees did not affect levee integrity.  But they were told by superiors to downplay the results. As you might see from the link to the levee vegetation report the results were inconclusive:

https://www.spk.usace.army.mil/Portals/12/documents/civil_works/levee_safety/USACE%20Levee%20Vegetation%20Study%20Report%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

I could go on with many more stories of how levee vegetation actually helps levee stability.
If anything, all birders should be protesting removal of levee vegetation.  The birds suffer and it is unnecessary.
Mike Scudericotinga777 at yahoo.comKent, WA
Message: 15