[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - February 2024

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 13:14:51 PDT 2024

Hi Tweets:

With February additions we have reach 111 species for our 2024 year list. In taxonomic order, the new species are:

Cedar Waxwing (code 1), 1 at a home near 100th Ave W & 238th St SW, 2-10-24

Swamp Sparrow (code 5), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 2-3-24

Please be careful with gulls in Edmonds. We found good ID photos in eBird in January to document both Iceland and Herring Gulls. We looked through the few February photos of Western Gulls and found them lacking. They represent hybrid gulls. Other reports of Western Gull are just ticks on eBird checklists. A code 4 bird here, which all three of these gulls are, requires credible documentation before we will add it to the year list. We also declined to add Purple Finch (code 3) in February as the two reports were by unknown birders and were not documented by description, recording, or photo.

Yost Park: Bridge #6 has been closed for a couple of years. Bridge #4 closed in December 2023 due to storm damage. It has been reopened as of today, Monday, March 18. That means the best spring migration birding loop in the park is now available. I spoke with Parks Department employees who were putting the finishing touches on Bridge #4 this morning. They explained that Bridge #6 remains closed because of legal-environmental issues surrounding Shell Creek. The city needs to figure out how that bridge can be repaired or replaced consistent with requirements for protecting the creek.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field for unusual Edmonds birds, it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2024 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through February.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records