[Tweeters] Albino SBGU or ??

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 21:27:08 PDT 2024

Definitely a Short-billed Gull based on the bill size, shape, and color.
They can bleach pretty white by summer - and then they're tattered - see
the July 14 pic here:
https://thecottonwoodpost.net/2023/10/12/gull-identification-in-puget-sound/
- but this bird may be leucistic. It's very pretty!

good birding,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 9:03 PM Eric Ellingson <esellingson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On the way back from a Sunday outing aboard Seabird from Birch Bay Marina

> to Alden Bank, a hike around Matia, and then back toward Birch Bay we ran

> across this gull that really stood out as being 'different'. Aboard was an

> out-of-state eBird god (reviewer) Holly, who also recognized it as

> something unusual. A small gull, RBGU size but with no gray coloration in

> its feathers, blotchy pink/red coloration on its legs, a light eye, and a

> bill with a pale white base and orange/red at the tip. Your thoughts?

> See the photo here: https://flic.kr/p/2pEcVs3

> Eric Ellingson

> 360-820-6396

> esellingson at gmail.com