Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 14:10:40 PDT 2024

Our equinox survey started with sleepy birders and sleepy birds under dark
grey skies, but the day became quite pleasant and birdy by 8 or 8:30.

Highlights:
Northern Shoveler - Flyby of 5 birds - First of Year (FOY)
Gadwall - Perhaps 30, a pretty high count for Marymoor
Northern Pintail - One flock flying north, followed by a seemingly
larger (~35) flying south (FOY)
Twelve species of duck total!
Rufous Hummingbird - Three males, including one doing a J-display (FOY)
Great Blue Heron - At least one eggshell under the heronry
Great Horned Owl - One calling pre-dawn from the SE (FOY)
Pileated Woodpecker - Excavating a hole in a snag in the Big
Cottonwood Forest, right next to the trail
Merlin - A rather pale individual ENE of the mansion
Hutton's Vireo - Finally saw one. Like our other two reports this
year, it was singing southwest of the windmill
Violet-green Swallow - Probably well over 100 (FOY)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - Ubiquitous. Really. Somewhere between 30 and
50
Varied Thrush - Probably at least 3, including good looks at the south
end of the Dog Area
Purple Finch - At least two heard, in full song. First in a month
White-throated Sparrow - Continues near 2nd/3rd Dog Swim Beach, with
Golden-crowned Sparrows

I was also at the park yesterday and had 5 species that we didn't have
today: BAND-TAILED PIGEON, RING-BILLED GULL, HAIRY WOODPECKER, AMERICAN
GOLDFINCH (one male, singing below the weir) amazingly (FOY), and SAVANNAH
SPARROW (about a dozen, most at the Model Airplane Field (FOY).

Missed both today and yesterday: Short-billed Gull, Cooper's Hawk, Belted
Kingfisher, Northern Shrike, and Pacific Wren.

I had 55 species yesterday, we had 62 species today, with a combined total
of 67 species. With 7 new species this week, we're at 85 species for the
year.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm