[Tweeters] Winter is over ...

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Thu Mar 21 16:49:36 PDT 2024

... and the White Birds of Winter are "gone".

Let me explain why I say this. I did a 'survey' of the Skagit and
Samish and
Butler Flats today. This was not a scientific process - I simply drove my
normal routes in those areas - and saw just one small group of Snow
Geese (less
than 200), and -no- swans and just 2 Canada Geese. Were there other
small groups
here and there? Quite probably. But compared to just 3 or 4 days ago the
lack of swans and geese was highly noticeable - it was even noticeable when
compared to just 2 days ago.
Also noted - far fewer Bald Eagles, only a few RTH (4?), no Harriers, only a
couple of SEOW (at the East 90). No Kestrels, no other hawks. A few crows.
And almost no ducks - one small group of about 200 and a couple of here
and there clusters of under 10 birds.
And the number of birders at the East 90 was less than half of what it was
on Tuesday. And many of the "regulars" were missing.

So, as far as Skagit County goes and from this birder's viewpoint ... they
are gone. Just one day after the Equinox (and not unrelated).

- looking forward to next fall ... Jim in Burlington