[Tweeters] Possible Female Gadwall with Ducklings, North Mercer Slough

Blythe Horman blythe.horman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 22:21:55 PDT 2024

Hi Tweeters,

I was at the Bellefields Office Park today, which is situated at the north
end of the Mercer Slough. There by the outdoor seating adjacent to the
water (near Dilettante Cafe), I spied what I believe was a female Gadwall
with three ducklings.

Reasons I think they were Gadwall and not Mallards: they were extremely
shy, the female had a narrow bill, and the chicks were notably different
(“more yellow”) than the many Mallard ducklings I’ve seen over the years.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get photos because they paddled away so
quickly at my approach and hid in the weeds overhanging the bank.

Additionally, there was a lone male Gadwall about 100 feet away, seeming to
be alert to my presence. He was definitely watching me.

I know this is a fairly tenuous ID, but I thought I would share in case
anyone nearby wants to take a look.

Happy Birding,
Blythe Horman, Lynnwood