[Tweeters] Dean Hale Woodpecker Festival: field trips are live on the ECAS website and registration opens on April 2nd

Duke Tufty dukedt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 19:38:23 PDT 2024

Happy spring birding Washington Birders!

We are excited to announce that the field trip schedule for the 2024 Dean
Hale Woodpecker Festival is now posted on our website. This year, the
festival will run from May 30 to June 2 and will offer field trips all over
Central Oregon. We hope you will consider joining us. Our festival is a
great chance for you to come down to Central Oregon and enjoy everything
that makes it a special place, including the birds!

We are lucky to have Paul Bannick as the Festival’s keynote presenter this
year. Paul is an award-winning author and wildlife photographer
specializing in the natural history of North America with a focus on birds
and habitat. He will be sharing his talk entitled “The Owl and the
Woodpecker Revisited” at the Festival’s keynote dinner on Saturday, June 1
at the Belfry in Sisters, Oregon. Paul will also be offering two
photography workshops on Saturday. For more about Paul, please visit his
website <https://paulbannick.com/>.

In more big news, we will be offering all Woodpecker Festival field trips
free of charge this year. There will be a fee for our festival dinner and
Paul’s photography workshops.

The field trip schedule
<https://www.ecaudubon.org/dean-hale-woodpecker-festival/field-trip-schedule-registration-2024/>
is posted on the ECAS website. Registration opens on April 2 at 8:00am
PST, which is coming up soon. With field trips being free this year, we
anticipate that many trips will fill quickly. Registration will be through
EventBrite. We should have a live Eventbrite page soon along with a
Registration FAQ.

In addition to the Woodpecker Festival, ECAS continues to support the
vibrant birding community in Central Oregon and is rolling out some
wonderful new programs this year. First, ECAS will be donating birding
backpacks to all Deschutes County libraries in the coming months to help
make optics and birding available to more people. In the near future, ECAS
plans to extend the birding backpack program to libraries in Crook and
Jefferson Counties. This fall, ECAS also will be introducing a youth
scholarship program in which a recipient will be able to attend an American
Birding Association birding camp in 2025. We will provide more details
about that program in the ECAS newsletters over the course of the year.
You can sign up for our free newsletter here
<https://www.ecaudubon.org/newsletter-sign-up/>.

ECAS also continues to support a wide range of conservation projects,
including the Greater Sage-Grouse project and a variety of bird survey,
nest monitoring, and habitat enhancement projects. And, when you are
planning to bird anywhere in Oregon, please don’t forget to use our Oregon
Birding Site Guide <https://www.ecaudubon.org/oregon-birding-guide/> that
includes details on over 1,200 birding locations within Oregon.

If all of this sounds good to you, we would greatly appreciate your
support. Please consider joining
<https://www.ecaudubon.org/become-a-member/> ECAS or making a donation
<https://www.ecaudubon.org/donate/>. We look forward to seeing you out
birding soon and hope you are ready for a fantastic spring full of birding
and adventures!

Duke Tufty, President and on behalf of the ECAS Board