[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR for 3/27/2024

Shep Thorp via Tweeters tweeters at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 27 20:04:13 PDT 2024

Hi Tweets,

We had a wet and windy Wednesday as approximately 18 intrepid birders
endured light rain in the morning and breezy conditions in the afternoon
with temperatures in the 40's to 50's degrees Fahrenheit. There was a High
13'1" Tide at 7:17am and a Low 0'8" Tide at 2:00pm. Highlights included
nice looks at RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, both an AMERICAN WIGEON X EURASIAN
WIGEON hybrid and a AMERICAN WIGEON X NORTHERN PINTAIL hybrid from the Twin
Barns Overlook, we picked up First Of Year TURKEY VULTURE at the Twin Barns
and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT was heard along the dike, a continuing CANVASBACK
in the freshwater marsh, and three occupied BALD EAGLE nests on the Refuge.

Over the weekend, the GREAT HORNED OWL had been spotted on the inside of
the Twin Barns Loop Trail from the Twin Benches just south of the Beaver
Deceiver on the east side of the trail. With the rainy conditions we
decided to do the Twin Barns Loop Trail backwards to search for the GHOW
and seek refuge from the rain. We had lots of early morning activity with
nice sightings of numerous YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER,
and COMMON MERGANSER at the Nisqually River Overlook.

The North side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail was good for two male RUFOUS
HUMMINGBIRDs, each near the bridge on either the NE corner or the NW
corner. A CANADA GOOSE is nesting in the old Owl Nest Tree along the north
side of the loop trail.

The Twin Barns picnic area was good for RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, and the
overlook was great for observing ducks and swallows. Ken spotted an AMWI X
EUWI hybrid and Rob spotted an AMWI x NOPI hybrid which made for some good
discussions about what we were seeing and why.

On the Nisqually Estuary Trail Whittier heard a FOY COMMON YELLOWTHROAT,
and a CANVASBACK was relocated from last week in the freshwater marsh.
There were good numbers of RING-NECKED DUCK in the marsh, along with a
GREATER SCAUP.

The Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail was great for dabbling and diving
ducks. We had nice looks of EURASIAN WIGEON, had good views of
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, and relocated a BELTED KINGFISHER by a nest borrow
on the West Bank of McAllister Creek. We were able to relocate black BRANT
GEESE on the reach despite seeing high numbers of 25 plus BALD EAGLE.
There are three eagle nests that are occupied on the Refuge, and another
just south of I5.

We observed 72 species for the day, with FOY TUVU and COYE, and have now
seen 112 species this year. Please see eBird report pasted below. Until
next week, when we meet again at 8am, happy birding!

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Mar 27, 2024 7:29 AM - 3:44 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.979 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Light rain in the morning, breezy
in the afternoon with Temperatures in the 40’s to 50’s. A High 13’1” Tide
at 7:17am and a Low 0’8” Tide at 2:00pm. Mammals seen Columbian
Black-tailed Deer, Harbor Seal, and Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit. Other
sightings are Pacific Tree Frog, Garter Snake, and egg clusters of Pacific
Northwest Salamander.
72 species (+9 other taxa)

Brant (Black) 35
Cackling Goose (minima) 140
Cackling Goose (Taverner's) 10
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 40
Wood Duck 6 Visitor Center and Twin Barns Loop Trail.
Northern Shoveler 150
Gadwall 50
Eurasian Wigeon 1 Spotted by Ellen at the McAllister Creek Viewing
Platform in Shannon Slough.
American Wigeon 500
Eurasian x American Wigeon (hybrid) 1 Continuing at the Twin Barns
Overlook.
Mallard 125
Northern Pintail 150
American Wigeon x Northern Pintail (hybrid) 1 Spotted by Rob at the
Twin Barns Overlook. Observed at 200-300 feet with 60x spotting scope. An
irregularly plumaged American Wigeon with a white stripe up the back of
neck on either side. Head darker than normal male AMWI.
Green-winged Teal 750
Canvasback 1 Continuing from last week. This week in the freshwater
marsh.
Ring-necked Duck 35
Greater Scaup 1 Freshwater marsh.
Greater/Lesser Scaup 1
Surf Scoter 2
Bufflehead 250
Common Goldeneye 50
Hooded Merganser 8 Twin Barns Loop Trail.
Common Merganser 14 Nisqually River Overlook.
Red-breasted Merganser 16 McAllister Creek from Estuary Boardwalk
Trail.
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Horned Grebe 3
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 17
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 4 Twin Barns Loop Trail and Orchard.
American Coot 200
Killdeer 2
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 10
Dunlin 2000
Least Sandpiper 1
Short-billed Gull 150
Ring-billed Gull 15
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 6
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 20
Iceland Gull (Thayer's) 1 McAllister Creek.
Brandt's Cormorant 2 Nisqually River channel marker.
Pelagic Cormorant 2
Double-crested Cormorant 6
Great Blue Heron (Great Blue) 15
Turkey Vulture 1
Bald Eagle 25 Occupied nest on West Bank of Nisqually River north of
dike, occupied nest on McAllister Hill west side of McAllister Creek south
of McAllister Creek Viewing Platform, occupied nest on McAllister Hill West
Bank of McAllister Creek at mouth across from Puget Sound Viewing Platform.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2 East side of Twin Barns Loop Trail and Twin
Barns Picnic Area.
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 3
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 1
American Crow 50
Black-capped Chickadee 15
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 10
Tree Swallow 30
Violet-green Swallow 10
Tree/Violet-green Swallow 40
Barn Swallow 2
Bushtit (Pacific) 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 10
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Brown Creeper 6
Pacific Wren 3
Marsh Wren 11
Bewick's Wren 5
European Starling 80
Varied Thrush 1
American Robin 30
Purple Finch 2
American Goldfinch 1
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 1
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon) 6
Golden-crowned Sparrow 6
Savannah Sparrow 1 Nisqually Estuary Trail.
Song Sparrow 19
Spotted Towhee 3
Red-winged Blackbird 40
Common Yellowthroat 1 Pointed out by Whittier, heard only, singing
male along the Nisqually Estuary Trail.
Yellow-rumped Warbler 66
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 4
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 30