[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Tue Apr 19 11:44:00 PDT 2022

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022, Carl Edquist wrote:

> Hi all,

> I am using alpine for an O365 account which requires the "modern

> authentication" / XOAUTH2. This works and a big thank you to Eduardo (Thanks

> Eduardo!!) for adding this support to alpine.

> But for a couple reasons, what I would like to try to do now, if possible, is

> use fetchmail to retrieve my messages (from O365 with XOAUTH2) into a local

> mbox file, and have alpine deal just with the local mbox files. (I used to

> have a setup like this before my O365 account started requiring XOAUTH2).

> I think I have read in the past that people have gotten something like this

> working with fetchmail + XOAUTH2. (At least with gmail anyway.)

> Has anyone gotten something like this working with fetchmail + XOAUTH2 for

> O365? A big thank you in advance if anyone has any links, or personal tips,

> etc on getting this working...

This is somewhat off-topic.
would be an appropriate place to ask.

Short answer: No current release of fetchmail ships with XOAUTH2
support.

The current fetchmail is v6.4.
Versions 6.5beta and 7alpha are available (and Gentoo Linux is reported
to ship with v7).
Fecthmail v7 includes XOAUTH2 support and third-party patches for
v6.5 and v6.5 exist at
http://mmogilvi.users.sourceforge.net/software/oauthbearer.html#setupFetchmail
(no 's' in http) and
https://www.aitchison.me.uk/fetchmail/
(yes I am responsible for the second set).

Matthias Andree, the fetchmail maintainer, is unhappy with the hoops
gmail make him jump through to "register" fetchmail
https://sourceforge.net/p/fetchmail/mailman/fetchmail-users/?viewmonth=202204&viewday=16
If he cannot get fetchmail to use XOAUTH2 *without* registering the "app"
he would appear to be considering whether dropping the feature is an
option.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew at aitchison.me.uk