[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Carlos E. R. robin.listas at telefonica.net
Tue Apr 19 12:04:12 PDT 2022

On 2022-04-19 18:42, Carl Edquist wrote:

> Hi all,

> I am using alpine for an O365 account which requires the "modern

> authentication" / XOAUTH2.  This works and a big thank you to Eduardo

> (Thanks Eduardo!!) for adding this support to alpine.

> But for a couple reasons, what I would like to try to do now, if

> possible, is use fetchmail to retrieve my messages (from O365 with

> XOAUTH2) into a local mbox file, and have alpine deal just with the

> local mbox files.  (I used to have a setup like this before my O365

> account started requiring XOAUTH2).

> I think I have read in the past that people have gotten something like

> this working with fetchmail + XOAUTH2.  (At least with gmail anyway.)

> Has anyone gotten something like this working with fetchmail + XOAUTH2

> for O365?  A big thank you in advance if anyone has any links, or

> personal tips, etc on getting this working...

Besides what Andrew says, gmail is forcing to activate 2FA/2SV on all
accounts, and in that case, using application passwords is easier to do
than Xoauth2.

I did not like the idea of having to use 2FA on an account is not
associated to an android phone (in which you login to google), but can
also be the recovery phone that they also force you to input on the
account settings. They send an SMS to it, and that works.

So I have an android phone in which I login, and use it as recovery
phone for other gmail accounts.

Yes, many loops.

--
Cheers / Saludos,