[Alpine-info] O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Fri Apr 29 18:45:59 PDT 2022

[ Bcc'ed to Matthias Andree ]

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2022, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> If the institute Gsuite (which is currently my main e-mail feed, via

>>> ssh from home) moves to OATH2 forbidding fetchmail AND imap, I'll guess

>>> I'd move at least my private mail to some other provider, and forward

>>> the official one to it.

>> Forwarding can also have interesting mishaps ;-)

> Ready to test it, if FORCED to abandon fetchmail.

> By the way, I've made a posting to

> fetchmail-users at lists.sourceforge.net, in reply to a posting by Matthias

> Andree (the latter was sent to Eduardo in Bcc:)

> I also kept a copy of some of the latest list(s) correspondence on this

> issue, but I have to study it, including yours about imapsync (was this

> the name?). Will that be oauth-free ?

I did talk to Matthias over Zoom and we had a conversation on this issues.
He does not oppose that OAUTH2 be available to fetchmail users, but the
issue is too complicated and he makes some good points on the meaning of
this situation.

Let me share my experience with registration/verification.

Google: They keep changing their requirements and they would issue a
client-id and client-secret in the past to any app, but now they only give
them to verified apps, so all one can do is to get one for testing, which
expires every 7 days, and this leads to going through the authorization
process once a week. This is bad for people like us who use apps like
fetchmail, alpine or mutt that respect the permissions granted by their
users.

Microsoft: The experience with microsoft is very good considering the
experience with Google. Alpine users do not need to get their own
client-id and client-secret if they follow the "device" flow, but need a
special client-id and client-secret if they wish to use the Authorize
method. The main obstruction is not Microsoft by itself, it is the
administrators that do not allow Alpine to access their resources. This is
a subtle way to create a monopoly or a situation that only benefits the
big companies, at best. If your company allows access to your program,
Microsoft is not the obstruction, regardless of the level of verification
you have with Microsoft.

Yandex: I registered Alpine with Yandex, got my client-secret and
client-id and I have never had any obstruction from Yandex or verification
to make. All has worked well.

In general a program should allow users to go through the authorization
stage, and for all I know, fetchmail, alpine and mutt will allow it. This
is a good situation. There are more issues that will come up over the
future and I am sure we will all be ready to face it when the time comes.

--
Eduardo