[Alpine-info] imap setup in alpine 2.1?

jason-alpine-info at shalott.net jason-alpine-info at shalott.net
Thu Dec 29 20:41:06 PST 2022

> I must set up an imap configuration, according to dreamhost

> That means providing as a hostname imap.dreamhost.com

> The username and password associated with the email in question, and that

> is all..at least to start.

> Since dreamhost really does not understand how alpine works, I am wondering

> under which setting this information should be placed?

This will be set with the first few configuration items under the setup
screen.

For simply reading email, the most important setting is "Inbox Path"; if
you scroll to this setting and hit <enter> you'll get asked for the name
of the "Inbox server" -- this is where you put imap.dreamhost.com. Note,
however, that you should specify that Alpine connect to it securely, with
SSL -- to do that, append "/ssl" to the hostname, so
"imap.dreamhost.com/ssl". You'll then be asked for the name of the inbox
folder -- generally, accept the default of "INBOX". At this point, if you
exit and save changes, you should be able to go to the inbox, get prompted
for your username and password, and then start reading your mail.

In order to send email, you'll probably also need to set the "SMTP
Server"; this should probably be "smtp.dreamhost.com".

You'll probably also want to set "Default Fcc" (i.e., your "Sent
Messages") folder, "Postponed Folder" (i.e., "Drafts"), and likely some of
the other settings in that menu.

Note that you don't have to run Alpine on the Dreamhost workspace host;
you can also run Alpine on your local (Windows/Mac/Linux/etc) desktop; the
settings will all be the same either way.

Good luck.

-Jason