[Alpine-info] Does this google change affect alpine

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Sat Mar 5 07:36:10 PST 2022

On Sat, 5 Mar 2022, dan d. wrote:

> It looks like google will demand 2 step verification for many terminal appps. Here a partt of a recent google email. Will this affect using

> imap with alpine:

> To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use

> of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google

> Account using only your username and password. Instead, you'll need to

> sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies,

> like OAuth 2.0.

Eduardo added
"Support for XOAUTH2 authentication method in Gmail" in Alpine v22
- see https://alpine.x10host.com/alpine/release/alpine-2.22.html
I don't think the difference between XOAUTH2 and OAuth 2.0 is significant.

Users will have to follow several steps to get gmail to trust alpine
to access your account. Directions are available at
https://alpine.x10host.com/alpine/alpine-info/misc/xoauth2.html#SettingUpGmail
and
https://wiki.umbc.edu/display/faq/Configuring+Alpine+with+Gmail
Please let those webpage maintainers know if the details change for you.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison Kendal, UK
andrew at aitchison.me.uk