[Alpine-info] Instructions to configure XOAUTH2 in Gmail have changed

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Sun Mar 6 20:40:26 PST 2022

Dear Alpine users,

with the upcoming change in gmail whereas username/passwords combination
will stop working many users are attempting to configure Alpine woth
XOAUTH2. Some users are reporting that the current directions fail with an
error like

Authorization Error
Error 400: invalid_request

I expect to reply to many messages that report this error in the upcoming
months. It seems that the solution to this error is the following:

client-secret.

* In the menu on the left, click on "OAuth Consent Screen"

* In the page that appears, change the "Publishing status" to "Testing"

* Below this, add the email addresses that will be allowed to login to
Gmail under "Test Users"

It seems this is affecting users that are just creating client-ids and
client-secrets, not users that already had them created. In my case, I hae
Alpine published and do not have this issue (and for users that are having
this issue, publishing the app does not fix the problem).

I hope this message will help some people find the information they need.
I will be updating my directions in the web soon.

Thank you.

--
Eduardo