[Alpine-info] FW: O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Mon May 2 11:18:18 PDT 2022

On Mon, 2 May 2022, Sewell, David R (drs2n) wrote:

> [Re-sending this to the list from my subscribed email address]

Dear David,

one more thing I forgot to mention. Since your administrator talked
about SMTP, if you run openssl with the command

openssl s_client -connect smtp.office365.com:587 -starttls smtp -crlf

and in the prompt you enter

ehlo localhost

you will receive the following reply:

250-SN7P222CA0006.outlook.office365.com Hello [174.137.68.50]
250-SIZE 157286400
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-AUTH LOGIN XOAUTH2
250-8BITMIME
250-BINARYMIME
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8

The relevant part is the line that says

250-AUTH LOGIN XOAUTH2

those correspond to the methods that the server supports for
authentication. The one that will go away is LOGIN, the other one XOAUTH2
has been supported in Alpine for several years. To quit the connection to
the server enter "quit".

In regards to IMAP, the test you want to make is

openssl s_client -connect outlook.office365.com:993 -crlf

and once you get to the prompt you enter

a capability

and you will get the reply

* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 SASL-IR UIDPLUS MOVE ID UNSELECT CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+

the string that you care about is AUTH=XOAUTH2, which Alpine supports (To
logout from the server enter "a logout") so as long as your administrator
allows it, you are all set to go with Alpine.

I hope this helps.

--
Eduardo