[Alpine-info] FW: O365 XOAUTH2 via fetchmail

Jonathan Siegle jsiegle at psu.edu
Mon May 2 12:06:46 PDT 2022

On 2022-05-02 at 17:30, Sewell, David R (drs2n) wrote:

> You don't often get email from dsewell at virginia.edu. Learn why this is important

> [Re-sending this to the list from my subscribed email address]

> I finally got a reply from my university's manager of Microsoft Services to my request that Alpine be authorized as a client to

> connect with our Outlook services. This was the response:

> Hi David,

> Even if we were to authorize Alpine for use in our tenant its functionality wouldn’t work past August when Microsoft deprecates basic

> auth with SMTP auth.  I feel non outlook clients are not long for this world in the eyes of Microsoft.

David,
Microsoft has no intention of disabling basic auth from smtp .
Per
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic-authentication-exchange-online
"SMTP AUTH will still be available when Basic authentication is
permanently disabled on October 1, 2022. The reason SMTP will still be
available is that many multi-function devices such as printers and
scanners can't be updated to use modern authentication. However, we
strongly encourage customers to move away from using Basic authentication
with SMTP AUTH when possible. "

-Jonathan