[Alpine-info] save not working

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Thu May 19 06:46:37 PDT 2022

On Thu, 19 May 2022, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

> after reading a mail with alpine, I can't save it: I get a "busy"

> message indefinitely

> has anybody an explanation, and if possible a fix?

Dear Pierre,

besides the advice from Bret, if you compiled your own version of Alpine
and are using Alpine in Linux you can use gdb to help you debug this
problem. If this is the case, please do as follows.

1. Repeat the problem.
2. Now open another terminal or screen and find out the process id of
Alpine. This can be done in several ways. For example, you can use a
command like

ps -ef | grep alpine | grep -v alpine

to do so. The answer is the leftmost number you see.

In Opensuse you can use the command

pidof alpine

to do so. Please note the answer you get.

3. With this answer, now use gdb with the command and issue, from the
command line, the following command

gdb -p <number>

where <number> is the number you got from the process id. Do not include
the angle brackets. For example if you got the process id 1234 from the
first command, the gdb command would be gdb -p 1234.

4. Once inside gdb please execute the "bt" command

(gdb) bt

and send me the output. This will tell me what Alpine is trying to do.

My hunch is that you are finding a locking problem in Alpine or maybe your
folder to save the message to is too big.

Thank you.

--
Eduardo