[Alpine-info] Are Their Hard Limits in News Group Articles?

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Mon Oct 10 11:03:53 PDT 2022

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022, Chime Hart wrote:

> Thank you Andrew-and-Eduardo, will examin both your solutions. I will need to

> confirm that a range option will actually display the most recent postings?

> Seems many years ago, I tried it-and-I wasn't sure, but also, it seemingly

> didn't mark articles as read.

Articles are never marked as "read" in newsgroups in Alpine. In many
newsreaders as soon as a message is read it is removed from your view
forever, even though the message still exists in the server, but you
cannot retrieve it anymore. In contrast, Alpine allows you to read a
message as many times as you want, but only if it is available on the
server, or you have marked it as "deleted and later expunge it".

Also, the nntp-range option refers to the last messages in the server. The
rest of the messages in the server will not be visible in Alpine.

--
Eduardo