[Alpine-info] Maildir folder-collection

Paolo Andretta andretta at apf.it
Sun Dec 24 10:05:33 PST 2023

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

>> that is like what I can already have with the setting:

>> folder-collections="Locali" #mc/Maildir/.[]

>> whit a one more selection level ...

> Since you are already renaming things, not one line will do the job. I would

> have considered to use the value

> folder-collections="Locali" #mc/INBOX.mail.[]

This solve the problem ;-)

> but that will not do either because you are already renaming folders

> manually. I do not think you can do what you want given what you reported.

Sorry if my poor english don't explain exacly what I want to communicate.
I have only tried to copy renaming some folder for test.
May be when situation is stabilized I do a global rename of folders, but
not now that I need to sync them before putting the new server in
production.

Now my folder list is:

INBOX sent-mail saved-messages
1999[.] 2000[.] 2001[.] 200126
200128 2002[.]
2003[.] 2004[.] 2005[.] 2006[.]
2007[.] 2008[.]
2009[.] 2010[.] 2011[.] 2012[.]
2013[.] 2014[.]
2015[.] 2016[.] 2017[.] 2018[.]
2019[.] 2020[.]
Trash1903 Trash1904 Trash1905 Trash1906
Trash1907 Trash1908
Trash1909 Trash1910 Trash1911 Trash1912
Trash2001 Trash2002
Trash2003 Trash2004 Trash2005 Trash2006
Trash2007 Trash2008

The key is #mC instead of #mD that I tried before.
I don't know the differences, but it solves my visualization "problem" ;-)
And except for the "." instead of "/" all seems more similar to my old
server/Alpine.

> It seems that you need to spend some time in the configuration screen. Press

> M S C and look at all the options under [ Folder Preferences ].

[ Folder Preferences ]
[ ] Combined Folder Display
[ ] Combined Subdirectory Display
[ ] Compensate for Deficient IMAP servers
[X] Enable Hidden Folders
[ ] Enable Incoming Folders Collection
[ ] Enable Incoming Folders Checking
[ ] Incoming Checking Includes Total
[ ] Incoming Checking Uses Recent
[ ] Expanded View of Folders
[ ] Hide Empty Directories
[X] Separate Folder and Directory Entries
[ ] Single Column Folder List
[ ] Sort Default Fcc Folder Alphabetically
[ ] Sort Default Save Folder Alphabetically
[ ] Use Vertical Folder List
[ ] Courier Style Folder List

Enabling:
[X] Separate Folder and Directory Entries

I have:

INBOX sent-mail saved-messages
1999. 2000. 2001. 200126
200128 2002.
2003. 2004. 2005. 2006.
2007. 2008.
2009. 2010. 2011. 2012.
2013. 2014.
2015. 2016. 2017. 2018.
2019. 2020.
Trash1903 Trash1904 Trash1905 Trash1906
Trash1907 Trash1908
Trash1909 Trash1910 Trash1911 Trash1912
Trash2001 Trash2002
Trash2003 Trash2004 Trash2005 Trash2006
Trash2007 Trash2008

no more [.] separated from folder name (not interested to insert mails
into the root of a folder)
That is what I wanted ;-)

The only problem I noticied is that while I can create a subfolder saving
a message in FOLDER.subfolder , when I try to delete it it give me this
error:

[Can not read #mc/Maildir/.mail.23.12a//: No such file or directory]
subfolder

[Can not read #mc/Maildir/.mail.2312c//: No such file or directory]
folder

It deletes the messagges, but not the folders.

Thanks for your support.
Using Pine/Alpine since old RH 4.x (may be also in Slack before), I always
migrated my profiles simply copying the user folder and this is surely
less good than start a new clean profile ...

--

Thanks,
Paolo