[Alpine-info] Can We Talk About Binary News-Groups Again?

Chime Hart chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Feb 4 12:40:10 PST 2023

Well, since trn seems to mysteriously bomb out on certain articles, I thought I
would again try alpine. So I set a range of 9999. In another binary group, I
was able to export groups of 177 messages to a file which I would decode later.
If I tried exporting either more than 200 messages or exported maybe 3 groups
of messages in 1 session, it would close the mailbox with an access error. So
after finishing that group, I went on to alt.binaries.e-books.flood. There
actually are 66thousand articles I would like to grab, but 9999 is the most I
can set a range. Well, in this group, no matter how small an amount of articles
I export, I only capture a name, date, and poster, but not any contents. I've
never seen this behavior as I've been working with news-groups since 1997.
Are their ways of setting ranges for other than a most recent group of
articles? Thanks in advance
Chime