[Alpine-info] Problem with "Disable Password File Saving"

Olaf Skibbe olaf at kravcenko.com
Thu Feb 9 10:18:33 PST 2023

Hi all,

I do not manage to switch off the attempt of alpine to create a
password file. Maybe it is a bug.

Details:

ALPINE 2.26

Config:
[X] Disable Password File Saving

I try to sen a message. In the following, "Alpine:" indicates alpine's
output, in angle brackets is what I do:

Alpine: HOST: smtp.xxxx.xx USER: xxx at kxxxxx.com ENTER PASSWORD:
<I mistype the password>
Alpine: [>Attempting to encrypt password file<]
Alpine: Create master password (attempt 1 of 3):
<cancel>
Alpine: [>Refusing to write non-encrypted password file<]
Alpine: HOST: smtp.xxxx.xx USER: xxx at kxxxxx.com ENTER PASSWORD:

I would expect to be prompted with the last line after mistyping the
password.

This is 100% reproducible for sending mails (SMTP). Strangely, it
happens only rarely when I access the mailbox via IMAP. The behavior
occurs in the same way for two different hoster.

Am I missing something?
Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Olaf